NUMBER OF SERVINGS
- Number of servings: Serves 4 people
- 500 grams fresh white asparagus
- 1 leek
- 1 litre of chicken stock (ready-made or use 1 stock cube (Maggi) per 1 litre water)
- 150 grams creamy/starchy potatoes
- 1 dab of butter (about 25 grams)
- 100 grams single cream or crème fraîche
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
METHOD OF PREPARATION
- Peel the asparagus and remove the woody ends (for a handy instruction video on how to peel asparagus, click here)
- Cut the asparagus into 2 to 3 cm size pieces.
- Wash and slice the leek into thin half rings, using only the white and light green parts.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- Melt the butter in a pan over moderate heat.
- Add the leek rings and cook for about 10 minutes until done. Stir the rings every few minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and the potatoes and bring to a boil again.
- Lower the heat, add the asparagus and allow to gently cook until the potato cubes and the asparagus are done (approx. 12 to 15 minutes).
- Puree the soup with a hand blender.
- For an ultimate asparagus soup, press the soup through a sieve. All of the small fibres are removed in this way. However, using a sieve is not absolutely necessary.
- Now add the cream and stir well. Do not let the soup boil!
- Add salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup in deep plates and garnish with chopped chives.
Save the asparagus tips and cut them lengthwise. Cook these briefly. Garnish the soup with the tips, and chopped chives, to give the soup some extra bite.