Basic cooking method
ROAST / GRILL / BARBECUE
THE BASICS STEP BY STEP….
Barbecue or oven
You can grill or roast (we will only refer to roasting hereinafter) potatoes either in an oven or on a barbecue. You can roast potatoes in the oven either with or without aluminium foil: a potato wrapped in aluminium foil will take a bit longer to cook and the moisture just below the peel cannot escape: the peel stays soft. The peel will bake dry without aluminium foil and will be somewhat crusty – but otherwise still edible. We recommend you not roast potatoes on a barbecue without aluminium foil: because of the intense heat, the outside of the potato will burn before the potato is cooked through on the inside.
- When roasting potatoes, use a large, creamy potato variety. Or the specially selected Grillers (by Jac van den Oord)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C
- Scrub the potatoes clean under a running tap
- Rub a bit of oil onto the skin and sprinkle with coarse sea salt
- Prick around 10 small holes in the potato using a fork
- In aluminium foil: wrap the potato in the foil and place it in the oven for about 1:30h
- Without aluminium foil: leave the potato in the oven for about 1:15h. The potatoes may cook faster on a very hot barbecue: check whether they are done after one hour
- Check whether the potato is done using a skewer or fork: the potato is cooked if you can prick into it with little effort
- Do note! Roasted potatoes retain their heat for a long time!
- If present: carefully fold open the aluminium foil
- Cut a cross in the potatoes and gently squeeze them open a bit
- Fill the potatoes with a filling of your choice
- Make a refreshing herb cream to use to fill the potato by mixing cream cheese with crème fraîche, finely chopped shallot and finely chopped parsley. Season the herb cream to taste with pepper and salt.
THE RIGHT POTATO!
- Grillers – For roasting or grilling
Can also be made with…
- Creamy texture potatoes
When roasting potatoes, you want to use large, starchy potatoes that have a smooth creamy texture when cooked. Potatoes should be roasted with the skin: so choose potatoes that have a lovely smooth skin. So you cannot use just any potato. The ideal potatoes for roasting are Jac van den Oord Grillers.
Tip! Portion size
We recommend a portion size of approx. 200 grams per person.